Anyone visiting the office of Dr. James W. Smith on East 69th Street in New York City will discover more than a medical practice, for in fact behind the walls of the seven-story brownstone mansion, one would find one of the most interesting individuals anywhere in the person of Dr. Smith.
Born and raised in East Liverpool, Ohio, Jim Smith left his hometown following graduation in 1944, taking his youthful personality with him. Influenced by his boyhood trips to Rock Springs Park across the river in Chester, West Virginia, this genial individual amassed one of the largest collections of penny arcade artifacts in the world. When the over 740 items were sold three years ago at Sotheby's Auction Galleries in New York, it marked the end of the era, for it is doubtful that any one person or persons would ever be able to locate such rare items. Included in his extensive collection were various pieces from the Rock Springs Park carousel, including the band organ, later housed in the 'Truck-a-Tune' which Dr. Smith donated to the East Liverpool High School Alumni Association several years ago.
After serving his country during World War 11 in the United States Navy, Dr. Smith headed for Case Western Reserve University, followed by Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he received his medical degree in 1952. His successful reconstructive surgery practice now sits right in the heart of Manhattan - such a magnificent office building that it was once featured in Architectural Digest. Inside is a bustling medical hospital where many famous patients have been treated; yet Dr. Smith is equally warm and caring with the lesser known individuals who seek his expertise.
Dr. Smith's list of accolades, awards, professional memberships and publications would fill volumes, yet perhaps his greatest source of pride comes from his wife, Nancy, and their five grown children and grandchildren.
Because of his vision, his enthusiasm and his refusal to quit, our community has benefitted in more ways than could possibly be acknowledged. For his tremendous effort in obtaining the Bank One facility, we recognize Dr. James W. Smith as an inductee in the Lou Holtz/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame, July 5, 1998.