The late Florence Updegraff, legendary East Liverpool High School principal. Valedictorian of the ELHS Class of 1878, "Miss Flo" immediately began teaching in the school system and soon became principal of Union School. She was involved in the construction of "The White High School Building," which opened in 1915. She continued as principal until 1927, watching the enrollment move from 50 to 5,012 students. She was instrumental in seeing that athletics were an integral part of the total high school program for both girls and boys, and she was one of the main organizers of the Young Christian Women's Association, president of the City Federation of Women's Clubs, the YWCA and the local American Red Cross Chapter.
A faithful member of the First Methodist Church, she was considered, at the time of her death in 1935, the most influential woman in the community.